Внеклассное мероприятие по английскому языку в старших классах: Брейн-ринг Welcome to Australia
Пузырёва Маргарита Викторовна, учитель английского языка
– Good morning. Glad to see you. Let’s play “Brain-ring”. Two teams take part in this game. The first team is from Canberra. The second team is from Sydney. The teams will show their knowledge of Australia and try to assure the jury that they are clever, smart and good students.
1. Now let’s start our competition. You task is to put the missing letters. Thank You.
Abro_d Abor_g_ne K_ngaro_ N_tive Harb_ _r
Key:Abroad Aborigine Kangaroo Native Harbour
2. The second task.There are 20 parts of 10 words. Try to combine them into the words. Read the words. Thank you!
3. The third task. Read the sentence and say if it is try ore false.
1) Canberra is the home of Australia’s government. (T) 2) Sydney is the capital of Australia. (F) 3) Sydney is the largest and the oldest city in Australia. (T) 4) Canberra is a “cyclist’s paradise”. (T) 5) Sydney Opera House is one of the greatest examples of 20th century. (T)
4. Complete the sentences:
Australia was discovered in ______ by ________.
The discoverer of Australia claimed it for ___________.
The first settlers were ________________.
People rushed to Australia because _________.
Australia’s is located in __________ hemisphere.
The hottest month in Australia is ________.
About 70 per cent of the population live in the __________.
________ is the capital of Australia.
The Olympic Games were held in Sydney in ___________.
If in London it’s 8 a.m., in Sydney it is _______.
People in Australia speak ________.
Australia became independent in _____.
1770, James Cook
the king of England
gold was discovered there
10 largest cities
5. What is wrong in the sentences?
Australia is situated south of Asia between the Pacific and the Atlantic Oceans.
Canberra is the capital of Australia and the biggest city of Australia.
Aborigines now comprise only 50 per cent of the population.
Australia is situated south of Asia, between the Pacific and the Indian Oceans.
Canberra is the capital of Australia, but it isn’t the biggest city.
Aborigines now comprise only 1,5 per cent of the population.
6. The sixth task. Write the names of the territories on the map:
Western Australia Northen Territory South Australia Queensland New South Wales
7. Let’s do the next task. Translate the sentences into English – first read the Russian variant, then – the translation.
Большая часть населения – англичане по происхождению.
The population is mainly English in background.
Английский – основной язык, на котором говорят австралийцы, но один из пяти австралийцев также говорит на итальянском, греческом, арабском, китайском или испанском.
English is the main language spoken, but one in five Australians speak also Italian, Greek, Arabic, Lebanese, Chinese or Spanish.
Средиземноморский климат, галереи, музеи, архитектура и парки привлекают туристов в Сидней. Mediterranean climate, galleries, museums, architecture and parks attract tourist to Sydney.
8. Answer the questions:
What is the official name of the country? (The Commonwealth of Australia.)
When was the Commonwealth of Australia formed? (In 1901.)
What kind of state is Australia? (Constitutional Monarchy.)
What is the capital of Australia? (Canberra.)
Who is the Head of State? (Queen Elizabeth 2 of Great Britain.)
Who is the Head of State? (Prime Minister.)
How many states and territories are there in Australia? (6 and 2.)
What is the population of Australia? (More than 18 million people.)
Which is the official language in Australia? (English.)
What colour is the flag of Australia? (It is blue, red and white.)
Which are the national colours? (Green and gold.)
What animals can be seen on Australia’s coat-of-arms? (The Kangaroo and emu.)
Which is the hottest month in Australia? (January.)
What are the main ports in Australia? (Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, Brisbane and Perth.)
How long does kangaroo live? (10 – 15 years.)
16) Can emu fly? (No, it can’t.)
What are Australian’s best-known animals? (The Kangaroo, Koala, the dingo.)
When is spring in Australia? (From September to November.)
What is the main occupation in Australia? (Agriculture.)
What does Koala eat? (Leaves of eucalyptus.)
9. Test your memory. Do the crossword puzzle.
2. Tropical climate. Population 70 000. Capital of Nothern Territory. 4. Tropical climate makes this city a year-round vacation place. 5. An industrial city. Population about 1 million. 8. Australia’s oldest and largest city.
1. Capital of Australian island-state of Tasmania. Cold winters. 3. Capital of Australia. Hosted 1956. 6. 2nd largest city of Australia. Hosted 1956 Olympics. 7. It has one of the best climates in Australia. Capital of Western Australia.
10. The last task. Choose the right answer.
1. What is the capital of Australia?
2. When did Europeans settle in Australia?
3. Which is/ are a popular Australian animal(s)?
All of the above.
4. Which two animals can you see on the Australian coat of arms?
Kangaroo and Dingo;
Koala and Parrot;
Kangaroo and Emu.
5. Which city is Australia’s oldest and largest?
6. Who are the Australian natives?
7. Who discovered Australia?
Lewis and Clark.
8. Australia is not a (an)
9. Approximately how many nationalities live in Australia?
10. What is the official language in Australia?
11. In which season do Australians celebrate Christmas?
– The game is over. Thank you so much. Let’s listen to the jury. (Жюри подводит итоги соревнования.) The winner of our competition is the team from … I’m pleased with your knowledge today. Thank you a thousand times.